The Acorns team would like to welcome all families back for 2019 and hope you all enjoy being part of the Baverstock Oaks Family.  We are enjoying getting to know you all.   There has already been lots of enthusiasm and interaction amongst the Year 2 whānau getting to know each child and meeting the families. We look forward to sharing your child’s learning with you this year.

Our big question for this year is ‘How showing Kindness and Gratitude will help the World.’

This term we will be focusing on Kindness and Respect and what it looks like.

When children feel happy and safe at school they are open to new ideas and show creativity and enjoyment with their friends and teachers. We will be encouraging the children with different provocations within their play and talk about what they are doing. This will provide them with key skills to be resilient, caring, kind, communicative and problem solve. Talk to your child about their learning through play and take a moment to play alongside them.

Home Learning

It is beneficial for your child to read daily with an adult. This could involve reading readers sent home from school, parents reading to the child, the child reading to the parent. Ask your child both direct and inferential questions about the book. This allows them the opportunity to give their own opinion and realise that there is not only one way of thinking about things.

Your child will be given either bubble words or spelling words to learn every week and they will be tested on Fridays. These will need to be tested every day. Please make sure you tick or put a dot in your child’s spelling notebook if they get it right or wrong. It is essential that these are revised in fun ways.

Your child will be bringing home a basic facts booklet to practise their addition and subtraction problems. Please encourage your child to do some every night and then mark them together.

New Bell times

Block 1: 9am-11am
Snack: 10am
Feed and Read: 11:30-11:40
Block 2: 11:40am-1:10pm
Lunch 1:40-1:50
Block 3: 1:50pm-3pm  

Litterless lunches

We are encouraging the children again this year to bring litter free lunches. Please take all packaged food out at home and put them into reusable containers to bring to school.

With our bell time change, the children will now be given 3 times to eat. It would be great if for their 10am snack time that fruit could be put into a seperate container to make the fruit eating smoother.   

Illness/Lateness

If your child is sick there are two ways you can let us know, either by ringing the office or using the Baverstock Oaks app. It is important for your child to arrive at school on time and attend school everyday. We would recommend that your child arrives about 10 minutes before the bell goes as this will give them some time to get organised, say hi to their friends and have some time for them to play.

Seesaw

We will be using Seesaw again this year to share your child’s learning. If you have not done so yet, please see the office to arrange the fee payment, of $10. This will be the best way for you to see the variety of things your child does at school and how they interact with their peers.

Collecting Resources for Creative Play

As we carry on with play based learning we would like to see the children’s imagination and creativity grow. If you have any resources that you feel would be useful to engage and challenge the children, we would appreciate to have it at school.

Assembly

This year we have moved our full school assemblies to 9-9.45am on a Friday morning. They are also only happening every second week. They will be on even weeks 2,4,6,8,10.

Your child’s class is on assembly:
Room 1   – Term 3, week 2
Room 9 – Term 3, week 8
Room 10 – Term 2, week 8
Room 11- Term 2, week 4
Room 12 – Term 1, week 4

Term 1 dates

21st February 6:00pm – 7:30 Meet the families

13th March 6:00pm – School picnic

28th March – Parent interviews, school finishes at 12:30pm

3rd and 4th April – class and individual photos

12th April – End of term 1

Meet the Year 2 teachers

Mrs Arendse – Room 1

My name is Michelle Arendse and I am a mum to two lovely daughters named Lila who is 2 and a half years old and Zoe who is almost 7 years old. My husband Scott and I enjoy spending time with the girls, being outdoors, going to the beach, going on bike rides, visiting different playgrounds and seeing animals.  I am going into my second year teaching at Baverstock Oaks and prior to this we lived in Tauranga after relocating from South Africa where I taught for 10 years. I am looking forward to an amazing year in the Acorns team teaching Year 2.

Mrs Dibley – Room 9

Hi, I’m Helen Dibley and I’m into my 9th year of teaching and learning here at Baverstock Oaks. I live locally over in Howick with my husband Owen and my two boys, who really aren’t boys as they are currently 23 and 20! Also in our house,  ruling the roost, is our dog, Yoda – who is rather like the famous character Hairy Maclary. In my leisure time I enjoy card-making, stockcars and reading.My newest pastime is going driving in my V8 Chevy pick-up.  I also enjoy socialising with friends and family and having lots of good times.

Mrs Srivastava – Room 10

Hi my name is Kellie Srivastava and I have been teaching at Baverstock Oaks for 4 years. I am the whānau leader for Year 2. I had an exciting summer holiday with my husband visiting my brother in London and friends in France and Norway. I am looking forward to teaching all your children and watching the learn and grow as the year goes on. Please feel free to come see me any time if you have any questions.

Miss Pottinger – Room 11

Hi, I am Emma Pottinger and I am the lucky teacher of Room 11! I have been teaching at Baverstock Oaks for nearly 5 years. I am excited to be working with Year 2 students, teachers and families this year. I have a real passion for “The Arts” and maths. Over the summer I had a lovely time enjoying the outdoors and exploring lots of new walking tracks around the Auckland area. I am really excited about this year and look forward to seeing each child learn and grow and reach their full potential! When I’m not at school I enjoy spending time with friends, playing the flute and singing, watching musicals, and walking my dog.

Mrs Tuineau – Room 12

Hello! My name is Mrs Tuineau and I am so excited to be teaching Room 12 this year.  This is my first year at Baverstock Oaks. I previously taught at a Primary School in Glen Innes and before that I was teaching in England.  Last year I got married to my husband Holomesi Tuineau – that’s why I have a Tongan last name. Our favourite thing to do in our holidays and weekends is to to explore! We love going on road trips to new and exciting places and travel overseas whenever we have the chance to. I look forward to meeting you all.

Mrs Turner (Learning Assistant)

Hi my name is Mel Turner and I will be working in Room 10. In the holidays I went home to Christchurch with my family. We have a black cat called Panther.

Mrs Carson (Learning Assistant)

Hi my name is Trudy Carson. In the holidays I went on a family trip to America. My favourite part was riding bikes along Venice Beach. I have 3 kids and a Mexican homestay. I like to spend my spare time with family and friends.

Ms Fox (Learning Assistant)

Hi, I’m Rachel Fox and I will be working in Room 11 this year. I have been a Learning Assistant at Baverstock Oaks for the past 4 years. I have 3 children, aged 12, 11 and 6 years old.

Year 2 Teachers – emails

Michelle Arendse – [email protected]

Helen Dibley – [email protected] 

Kellie Srivastava – [email protected]

Emma Pottinger – [email protected]

Natalia Tuineau – [email protected]