A huge welcome back to school to all our learners and their families. We hope you have all had a wonderful holiday. We are really looking forward to getting to know the children this term so that we can better identify their talents, successes and needs. Most importantly, we are looking forward to having lots of fun with all of our wonderful learners. 

Nikki Mackay- Whanau Leader- Room 27:

Kia ora whanau!  This is my ninth year at Baverstock Oaks School – it only seems like yesterday that I started!   I am excited to be working with Year 5 students, teachers and families this year.  

No two days in school are ever the same, and watching the children grow and flourish and become passionate about their learning is a joy to be involved in. I want the children in my class to be excited about coming to school, engaged purposefully in their learning and aware of their potential. I love challenging children to be the best they can be and am passionate about giving all learners a positive camp experience where they can build relationships with one another and try new things!

Finally, when I am not at school this year….. I hope to be traveling, reading and spending time with my amazing family and friends.

Kimberley Buchanan- Term 1 Teacher Room 28:

Kia Ora everyone. I’m Miss Kimberley Buchanan and I am located in Room 28 this term. After this term, I will be relieving around the school. This will be my 6th year at Baverstock Oaks School and my 3rd year teaching Year 5s. I love reading, gaming and going to the gym! I look forward to a wonderful term with my lovely class!

Munroop Clair- Room 30:

Kia Ora, my name is Munroop Clair. I am delighted to be a part of the Year 5 whanau, teaching in Room 30. I am excited for a year filled with lots of learning, fun and adventure.
Though being born and raised in New Zealand, I am of Indian descent and take pride in being fluent in my mother tongue which is Punjabi. I love going to the gym and and exploring the beautiful sights New Zealand has to offer. I look forward to a wonderful year with Room 30, our whanau and wider community.

Rose Bain- Room 31:

Kia Ora Block F whanau! I’m Rose Bain and this is my fifth year teaching in the Tall Oaks here at Baverstock Oaks. Previous to my employment here at BOS, I spent 10 years overseas teaching in international schools and exploring the world. I am really looking forward to sharing a great year of learning and fun with you and your families this year. We have made a great start to 2019 in Room 31 and are very excited about our upcoming visit to Chosen Valley Camp in Week 5. My hobbies involve anything to do with water. My family and I are all keen ‘fisherpeople’ and spend hours on the Waitemata Habour enjoying all that it has to offer. My other hobbies include reading, watching a good movie and spending time with my friends and extended family.

Mel Else- Room 32:

Hi Block F Families, I’m really excited to be working with your children this year.  This year I am looking forward to going to camp with the students and learning more about their strengths and weaknesses and how I can best help them learn. I have a family of my own, my husband and 3 beautiful daughters, 2 who attend Cockle Bay Primary. As a family we enjoy all sorts of outdoor adventures and getting to the beach as much as possible. I look forward to meeting more of you and helping your child reach their full potential this year.

Friendly Reminders – Whanau Expectations

Hats

As we welcome the beginning of Term 4 the children need to remember to wear hats while out playing. Baverstock Oaks requires all students to wear hats during Terms one and four to protect our children from the harsh summer sun. These can be bought from the school office or from John Russell Menswear in Howick. We also recommend a good sunscreen be applied at home to further protect our children.

Litterfree lunches

A huge thank you to all of the families that ensure that their children bring litterfree lunches to school each day. Remember the purpose of litterfree lunches is to think about the impact litter has on our environment. It would be awesome if you made your own snacks or bought snacks in bulk, used reusable containers instead of plastic wrap. Remember we need to be the change we want to see in our world.

Uniform:

Please name all items of clothing and shoes. This makes your children’s clothing easier to locate if it goes missing. If your child loses an article of clothing, it is their responsibility to locate it. The first place to check is the Upper F lost property which is located outside Room 31. Lost property is also displayed outside the library every Friday morning. At the end of term, every effort will be made to return lost property to its owner, however, if it is still unclaimed, it will be washed and put in the second hand uniform sale.

Children may wear black sandals. If they are wearing shoes, girls need to wear white ankle length socks. Boys need to wear the approved Baverstock socks. Jewellery is not permitted to be worn at school. If your child has a piece of jewellery that has significant meaning e.g. religious, a letter in writing to the Associate Principal explaining the reasons why it must be worn is necessary. All accessories must be one of the school colours e.g. hair ties, headbands. If your child’s hair touches their shoulders, it must be tied up. Plain silver or gold studs ONLY are to be worn. Students with coloured studs or sleepers will be asked to
remove them. Nail polish is NOT permitted at school.

Camp:

unnamed-1

One of the highlights for children in Year 5 and 6 are our camp experiences!  During Year 5, our students experience a two night stay at Chosen Valley Camp in Hunua where they experience a range of outdoor activities and team building along with experienced teachers and parent helpers.  This camp is an incredible experience for your children and prepares them for our longer camp of four nights in Year 6.

Please note that we will be departing at 9.00am on Wednesday 6th March.

If you have any queries please feel free to email:

[email protected]   or

[email protected]

Important Dates to Remember:

Week 3: Thursday 21st February – Meet the Families

Friday 22nd February – Year 5 & 6 Swimming Sports

Week 4: Tuesday 26th February – Interschool Softball

Tuesday 26th February- Interschool cricket

Friday 1st March – Full School Assembly

Week 5: Wednesday 6th March-Friday 8th March – Camp

Week 6: Tuesday 12th March- Interschool cricket

Wednesday 13th March – School Picnic

Friday 15th March- Full School Assembly

Week 7: Dental Van at School

Tuesday 19th March- Interschool Swimming Sports

Week 8: Monday 25th March-Tuesday 26th March- Stomp coming to school

Thursday 28th March – Parent Interviews

Week 10: Friday 12th April- Full School Assembly