Year 2 Whānau Newsletter

Term 1, 2021

Kia Ora parents and caregivers,

A warm welcome to all of our families and their children joining us in Year 2 this year. We are looking forward to getting

to know all of you!

Meet the Year 2 Teachers

Thank you to all of those families who came along to our ‘Meet the families’ evening in Week 2! We appreciate your time and support.

The Year 2 Whānau teachers 2021

Mrs Renee de Bruin – Room 26 Teacher & Year 2 Whānau leader

[email protected]

Kia Ora Year 2 families. My name is Renee de Bruin and I have the privilege of leading the Year 2 whānau this year as well as teaching the wonderful children of Room 26. I have been teaching at Baverstock Oaks School for quite some time now so I know many of the children very well! I was born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand. I have a husband named Donovan who is from South Africa and a son Oliver. My favourite things are going to the beach, reading, decorating and spending time with my family. I look forward to connecting with you all over the year.

Mrs Helen Dibley – Room 9 Teacher

[email protected]

This is my eleventh year of teaching at Baverstock Oaks and I have always been in the Acorn team. I have lived in Howick for over 20 years with my husband Owen and my two sons, Bryce and Scott. I quite often refer to them as my boys but I really need to say young men as they are in their early twenties and both taller than me. Also in our house, ruling the roost, is our dog, Yoda – who is rather like the famous character Hairy Maclary. Outside of school I enjoy spending time with friends and family, going to stock cars, and travelling around our country. Over the summer break I toured the South Island in my Chevy V8 – over 2700 miles in 3 weeks! (that’s about 4500km!)  I also enjoy arts and crafts and my current area of interest is card making.

Miss Megan Snyman – Room 10 Teacher

[email protected]

Kia ora my name is Megan Snyman (Miss S).

I am new to the Baverstock Oaks Family and have been enjoying every minute of it.

My family and I moved to New Zealand from South Africa 10 years ago. My family is currently living in sunny Whangarei and I go and visit them alot. Some of my favourite beaches are up there. That is where I like to spend most of my holidays. I can’t wait to get to know everybody that much better and I am looking forward to an amazing 2021!

Mrs Jodey Hopkins – Room 11 Teacher

[email protected]

Kia ora to our Baverstock Oaks families! My name is Mrs Hopkins. I am originally from South Africa and have been teaching for 16 years. My family and I arrived in New Zealand in January 2020 so we are still very new to this beautiful country. I enjoy performing arts and spending time exploring New Zealand with my family. A very big thank you to the families who have already made me feel so welcome. I feel incredibly privileged to be a part of the Baverstock team and look forward to an exciting year ahead.

Mrs Karis Lam – Room 25 Teacher

[email protected]

Kia Ora, my name is Mrs Lam. I am delighted to be working at Baverstock this year and have enjoyed meeting some of you already. I am originally from Hong Kong, speaking the languages of both Cantonese and Mandarin, and have grown up in New Zealand since the age of eight. I have recently gotten married to my husband, and I am enjoying the change in lifestyle and the adventures that come along with that. In my spare time, I love connecting with nature, playing music and spending time with my family and church friends. I look forward to meeting more of you and working with your children during the year. Thank you for welcoming me into the Baverstock whanau.

Year 2 Authentic Learner Inquiry

This year our Year 2 children will be completing an Authentic Learner Inquiry. We use our inquiry as a focus for each term. Our BIG question this year is:

‘What is the same? What is different?’

And our focus question for this term is:

What are the similarities and differences between us?

We will be exploring this question through a range of activities that cover the curriculum. At the end of this term we look forward to inviting you to a morning to celebrate and show you what we have learned in response to our question.

Reminders

Uniform

We have a wonderful uniform and all children are expected to wear the correct uniform for the term. Please ensure you read over our uniform expectations on our website. www.baverstock.school.nz

Hats are a very critical item this term.

If your child misplaces their hat at school:

–       Check with the classroom teacher

–       Encourage your child to check the lost property area in Lower B

If their hat can’t be found you can purchase a new one at the school office. Please ensure you name their hat so that it can be returned if found.

Sunscreen

It is a great idea to apply sunscreen before your child comes to school each morning as teachers are unable to apply sunscreen. . Children can bring sunscreen in their bag and re-apply if needed before going out at playtime.

Seesaw

Seesaw is an important communication and sharing tool. We use Seesaw everyday in the classroom to post work and complete activities. Seesaw is just a small fee of $10 for the year. This needs to be paid via Kindo before the 5th of March.

Concerns

It is important that you directly contact your child’s classroom teacher as soon as you have a concern about your child. They are your first point of contact. If any matters are unable to be resolved then they should be directed to the Whanau leader – Renee de Bruin [email protected].

Football Taster – Friday 19 February

On Friday 19th February all of the Year 2’s participated in a Football taster. We spent time with two coaches who showed us football skills. We even got to play a game in the inflatable football stadium. It was a fun experience. You would have received a notice in your child’s book bag if you would like your child to participate in football (soccer) during lunchtimes.

Upcoming Dates – Year 2

Week 6

Friday 12th February – Year 0-3 School Assembly (Room 26 hosting)

Week 8

Thursday 25th March (1.00 pm – 8.00 pm) – Parent – Teacher interviews

*Please note we will finish early this day

Friday 26th March – Year 0-1 School Assembly (Room 19 hosting)

Week 9

Friday 2nd April – Good Friday *School closed

Week 10

Monday 5th April – Easter Monday *School closed

Tuesday 6th April – Easter Tuesday *School closed

Friday 9th April – Year 0-1 School Assembly (Room 32 hosting), Year 2 sharing morning 10.00 am – 11.00 am

Week 11

Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th April – Photolife (Classroom photographs)

Friday 16th April – Last day of term 3pm

Kind regards,

The Year 2 Whānau