Our four Houses are named after families who lived in the school area. Each student is assigned to a House when they are enrolled. Siblings are put into the same house. Students have the opportunity to earn house points each week. A collation of these points is completed on a Friday and the winning house for the week is announced at our full school assembly. The winning house for the term receives a free mufti day the following term.
Maurice and Margaret Thorburn were married in 1937. They had a 47 acre farm on Gracechurch Drive. Farming was hard in these days they broke in land and removed gorse from the property. They had racehorses on their farm and Maurice was interested in the Pakuranga hunt. They had one son, Lloyd and a daughter, Jewel.
The French family had a farm on the corner of Chapel Rd and Gracechurch Drive for 78 years. They farmed cows and pigs. Fanny and Alexander French had seven children one of these children Cyril took over the farm 1940. He married Gwen Baverstock our very own Grandma Baverstock. The French family are still prominent in our area and French Electrical service our schools electrical needs.
During 1930’s and 1940’s a 30 acre property on the corner of Chapel and Baverstock Rds was owned by the Fairweather family. Mr Faiweather died and Mrs Fairweather brought up her girls alone.
Henry and Bessie Upton lived at 69 Baverstock Rd from 3 November 1919. They had a dairy farm. Cream was sent to Tamaki co-operative Dairy company. Eggs were sold through the Ambury depot at the corner of Smales and East Tamaki Rds. They had 3 children, Norman, Molly and Maurice. Maurice farmed the property until the property was bought by property developers.